The protection and conservation of our natural environment is a concern that is very close to our hearts. Not only does nature provide all of us with the most important resources for survival, such as clean air or water, but mother nature and all of her wonderful creations are also what makes this world worth living in! And therefore nature deserves respect and protection!
The probably biggest threat the environment is facing is climate change due to greenhouse gas emissions. Unfortunately, tourism itself is a contributor to carbon emissions. No matter how responsible and concerned about the environment we try to be when travelling, we always leave a carbon footprint. Since tourism activities are not possible without carbon emissions, the best compromise travellers can make is trying to offset their carbon footprint.
BORNÉO À LA CARTE is collaborating with an organisation called “Rescuing Borneo” and some local communities to set up tree planting projects. With these projects we offer you the chance to balance the negative impacts and offset the carbon footprint travelling causes by having trees planted! And here is how it works:
- The cost to have one tree planted is MYR 30. This is entirely voluntary and you may choose, whether you wish to finance the planting of trees and if so, how many. Just let us know during your booking process and we will register your name and contribution for the tree planting project.
- The organisation “Rescuing Borneo” has lots of experience with tree planting and is assisting us by supplying tree saplings as well as consulting us on details such as which species of trees to plant in which type of environment. You may find further information about “Rescuing Borneo” and their cause HERE.
- We are collaborating with several local communities to identify degraded forests or cleared areas as locations for our tree planting project. By hiring people from those communities to help us with the actual tree planting, we aim to involve them in the cause and provide them a little income at the same time.
- Depending on how well this carbon footprint offset initiative is being received, we will do 2 or 3 tree plantings per year. The collected funds will be used entirely for these tree planting events, to cover the costs of the saplings as well as the wages for the local helpers.
- After each tree planting, we will publish pictures and information about it on our webpage and social media. You will be able to retrace where the trees which you financed have been planted.
We are hoping that this initiative will be a big success and look forward to our first tree planting! If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to send us an e-mail (email@example.com) or contact us right HERE via our webpage!